PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICER
Thursday, April 23, 2020
A minimum of three years’ experience in a related field may be substituted for the educational experience.
A Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field is preferred.
The position is highly sensitive and requires experience as a Public Information Officer and/or frontline media position.
Career Opportunity Full Description
PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICER
Coast RTA is seeking an individual to fill the position of
Public Information Officer (PIO) within our organization. The
responsibility of the PIO is to maintain all communication - oral
and written - to foster a positive public image for the Authority
and to disseminate vital information to the public, our constituent
local governments and the media about our services, current
conditions and emergencies. The PIO will manage all of our
communication with media, maintain the Coast RTA's website/social
media and coordinate Coast RTA public events. Extensive
knowledge of Coast RTA history is desirable. The position is highly
sensitive and requires experience as a Public Information Officer
and/or frontline media position. This position reports
directly to the General Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under supervision of the General Manager, the Public Information
Officer (PIO) will keep the public informed of Coast RTA
activities. In order to do so, the PIO may be required to:
- Serve as an advisor to those making public appearances;
- Write press releases;
- Respond to media inquiries;
- Maintain an archive of press material relating to Coast
- Answer phone calls from media or public;
- Support customer service when necessary;
- Develop marketing strategies;
- Maintain our website and social media accounts;
- Make public appearances on behalf of Coast RTA, including for
- Escort media personnel within the facility to conduct
interviews or take photographs.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS REQUIRED:
The successful candidate will have:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including
public speaking and familiarity with Associated Press style, as
well as strong grammar, spelling, and punctuation skills (This is a
priority for filling this position);
- Must be able to step in and handle interviews from all media,
- Dependable and highly organized with business maturity,
discretion, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude;
- Technologically literate with strong computer skills including
website maintenance and graphics capability;
- Skillful in using social media, and other communication
- Cheerful presence and people skills, with an emphasis on
- Self-starter who can work independently but can also follow
- Outgoing, with the ability to work under stress and
consistently meet deadlines; and
- Skill in establishing priorities and managing workload.
Photography and videography skills a plus and being bilingual is
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor's Degree in communications, journalism, public
relations, or a related field is preferred.
A minimum of three years' experience in a related field may be
substituted for the educational experience.
The role of a Public Information Officer may sometimes require
the following, but is not limited to:
- Some physical labor - bending, kneeling, or standing for a
variety of time periods; lifting boxes, files, or other office
- Outdoor activities, which may be conducted in inclement
- Travel may be required; and
- Non-traditional work hours may be required in order to
accommodate special Coast RTA events.
Apply online at www.RideCoastRTA.com or in
person at the Coast RTA Administrative Office
Position will remain open until
Coast RTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer3
Career Opportunity Application Instructions
You may apply for this position by completing one of the
Filling out our Online Career Application, which
will allow you to attach your resume. Our Online Career Application
is definitely the easiest option for submitting your career
opportunity request. It is fully secure and will send an email to
Coast RTA as well as a confirmation email to you.
Downloading the career application and mailing it completed with your resume
ATTN: Human Resources, 1418 3rd Avenue, Conway, SC
29526 or faxing it to: 843-488-0874
Or you may apply in person at 1418 3rd Avenue,
Conway, SC 29526 between the hours of 8am
- 5pm, Monday - Friday. See us on a map.